When can I enroll?
- You can join when you first become eligible for Medicare (three months before the month you turn age 65 until three months after the month you turn age 65). If you get Medicare due to a disability, you can join from three months before to three months after your 25th month of cash disability payments.
- If you didn’t join when you were first eligible, you can join between October 15th and December 7th. Your coverage will begin on January 1 of the following year.
Note: In certain situations, you may be able to join a Medicare Advantage plan or Medicare Prescription Drug Plan at other times. For example, if you:
- Move out of your plan’s service area
- Have both Medicare and Medicaid
- Live in, or move into or out of an institution (such as a nursing home)
- Have creditable prescription drug coverage and that coverage ends
- Lost employer coverage or your plan coverage is no longer available in your area
If you have questions about whether or not you can join or switch Medicare plans, call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. TTY users should call 1-877-486-2048.